Saturday, April 21, 2007

Tennessee three minus one

Friday night Ben and I went to see The Tennessee 3 band that backed up Johnny Cash for over 30 years. The Drummer W.S. Holland was with Johnny for almost 50 years after being fired by Carl Perkins. Bob Wootton joined Johnny Cash in 1968 after 2 of the band members missed their flight and Johhny had no guitar player.

The concert started off with a oppening act who just happens to be Bob Wootton's daughter Scarlet. She was pretty good doing some old country songs and a couple that she wrote that sound like they are old country.

Then the lights went dim and you could see a couple people standing on the stage and a recording started talking about the Man In Black. They would mention a few things about him then they would see that he may be gone but will never be forgotten when you here this sound and youd here the oppening guitar riff from Folsom Prison Blues then they would talk more and play the riff again and then they said and now the band behind the man and the Tennessee three started playing. On most songs if you closed your eyes you could picture Johhny Cash up there singing because Bob Wootton sounds an awfull lot like him.

It was a great show which made me think of dad which lead me to having a dream about him. I was laying on dad and Jeans bed talking to dad and he was mostley mumbling like he did once in a while. He was holding onto my finger for some reason. I asked if he needed a drink and he blinked his eyes and smiled so I said I would go get it. I woke up and was getting ready to get up and get his drink when I realized it was a dream. I smiled even though it made me feel sad because it was very close to how it was before he passed away.

Here are a few pictures from the show. I had taken my old digital camera because I was told no photography but they said before the concert started photos were allowed but please no video.


Scarlet


The Tennessee Three


The drum solo


Ben with the Tennessee Three