Friday, September 01, 2006

I'm a sailor

Well I've sailed so I don't think that qaulifies me as a sailor but I did get to steer the vesel leaving the harbour. They had everyone else swabbing the poopdeck, hoisting the sails, yo ho ho and all that pirate stuff. I was picked to be shown the distress button on the radio so if anything happened like pirates taking over I had to find a way to the radio and flip the switch to send out a distress signal. Thank god we didn't need it. It was a pretty calm day and because I was told there were not Orcas in the area I decided to go sailing instead of paying the extra money for whale watching without whales. I was told later that a whale from the Blue Whale line was spotted for the first time in 18 years in that area. wasn't very close so no one got good shots as far as I know. We saw a seal. Not even a big seal but a wild seal it was. We did have a passenger lose his hat so we had to swing back and get it. I wasn't steering the vessel at that time. Next time I go I'd like to see a storm so we are tossed about a bit. I crawled out to the very front of the ship to have a look at what the ship looked like sailing. Not sure what its called but it might be the plank ?? But maybe its just the front of the ship or nose. Well it was a good day and I was the only person who didn't need sunscreen, earmuffs, jacket or blanket. But I was the only one that got burnt !! I'd do it again but not on such a calm day. No one was even close to going overboard. Was one annoying guy I could have pushed over but I stayed as far away from him as I could and it was a pretty big ship. And just so you know I never saw or touched any seamen out there.






31AUG06 060b

31AUG06 038b

31AUG06 020b

31AUG06 021b

31AUG06 033b

31AUG06 024b

6 Comments:

At Friday, September 01, 2006 9:30:00 PM, Blogger Dennis said...

Hey Kev,nice pic's.

 
At Saturday, September 02, 2006 6:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But you did see a poop deck.

Kevin how did you stand on that skinny plank, balance you and the camera, to get those photos? I wouldn't be trying that on your next sail... in a storm.

It looked fun.

Mike

 
At Saturday, September 02, 2006 9:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like alot of fun, but whats a boat ride without any seamen?

 
At Saturday, September 02, 2006 9:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey uncle kev! Looks like fun! nice pics too! The one of the whole ship out on the ocean looks so nice!
Love ya,
-Tara. xo

 
At Sunday, September 03, 2006 2:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahoy Matey
good to know about the seamen!
those pics are really nice, must have been a nice sail. glad you controlled yourself and didn't push that guy overboard. Glad you are safe and sound back there too cuz i have been reading your other posts but havent commented yet!
Miss ya
Love Kris

 
At Tuesday, September 05, 2006 6:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that looks like so much fun and beautiful. i don't think i could handle that. i'd probably get sick. so it's nice to watch someone else experience it. i guess that makes me a voyeur.
haha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home